Early 1980s - Paris, France
After Operation Horseman
SCORPIA was formed in the early 1980s by a group of 11 spies worried they would be rendered jobless with the impending close of the Cold War. Formed over ice cream in Paris, SCORPIA became the most ruthless and effective terrorist organization in the world. These first members were Brendan Chase, Duval, Max Grendel, Levi Kroll, Hideo Mikato, Julia Rothman, Dr. Three, Major Winston Yu, and three other members. Shortly after its formation, Zeljan Kurst joined the Executive Board.
The Board rotated the status of Chief Executive or Chairman alphabetically. One member of the Board would lead the organization for a period before handing the reins to another Board member. This Chief Executive was tasked with overseeing all of the organization's operations, as well as appointing Project Leaders.
The organization performed a variety of illicit acts for governments, businesses, other organizations, and personal parties. High-profile clients include Herod Sayle and Ariston Xenopolos. Minor, early assignments included the assassination of a drug dealer known as the Commander in the Amazon jungle in Peru by John Rider and Yassen Gregorovich, the assassination of an anti-mafia judge in Palermo for mobster Angelo il Serpente Gallo, the ransom of $20 million being paid to Scorpia by the Libyan government with the threat of a poisoned water supply, SCORPIA's involvement in elections in San Antonio, Brazil, and the assassination of Hector Nalbandian.
John Rider was an undercover MI6 agent posing as a key assassin and training instructor in SCORPIA. However, MI6 arranged to "capture" Rider so as to return him to his wife and son. However, when George Adair, the son of Sir George Adair, was kidnapped, MI6 initiated a "trade": John Rider for George Adair. The trade went horribly wrong, though, when MI6 faked Rider's death by "shooting" him in the back, thus ensuring his security. Scorpia ascertained the truth from an undercover agent and had John Rider and his wife terminated by SCORPIA initiate Anthony Howell.
In the early 21st Century, SCORPIA provided Herod Sayle with a form of genetically modified smallpox, though Sayle's plot to terminate British schoolchildren failed. By this time, three members of the Executive Board had died: two had been murdered, while another had died of cancer. Max Grendel's retirement also forced SCORPIA to assassinate him. Then-current Chairman Julia Rothman later led Operation Invisible Hand, an attempt to destroy Anglo-American relations by telling the United States to pay an enormous sum of money with the alternative consequence of the death of thousands of British schoolchildren that had been injected with poisonous nanoshells. These nanoshells could be activated by a satelite. However, the plot was foiled by Alex Rider. Rothman and renowned SCORPIA assassin Nile were killed during the operation.
After Rothman's death, Zeljan Kurst became the organization's Chairman. SCORPIA executive Winston Yu led Operation Reef Encounter, a plot to kill eight philanthropical celebrities on Reef Island, which was also foiled by Alex Rider, and also resulted in the death of Major Yu.
The organization lost a considerable amount of its influence over the criminal underworld, and gladly took Operation Horseman, an assignment to steal back the Elgin marbles and return them to Greece on behalf of aging multi-billionaire Ariston Xenopolos. Zeljan Kurst had recently appointed four new members to the board: a man who called himself Seamus, twins Edwardo and Giovanni Grimaldi, and Abdul-Aziz Al-Rahim. Kurst appointed Rahim, known to the Board only as Razim, as Project Leader, inciting the fury of Levi Kroll. Kroll was killed by Kurst, and the Operation went underway.
The project involved the assassination of the American Secretary of State. SCORPIA would then threaten to release evidence incriminating Alex Rider not only as the murderer, but as a teenage spy, which would be objectionable to the Americans, if the British government did not return the Elgin marbles to Greece. However, Alex Rider once again foiled this plot, leading to the death of Al-Rahim and the subsequent disbandment of SCORPIA. Zeljan Kurst was quickly arrested, and international security agencies were working together to track down other major members.
- Abdul-Aziz Al-Rahim, also known a Razim - Razim was a member of the Executive Board prior to Operation Horseman to Operation Horseman, when he sunk into a lake of salt.
- Brendan Chase - Chase was a member of the Executive Board from its formation to the aftermath of Operation Horseman, when the organization dissolved.
- Duval - Duval was a member of the Executive Board from its formation to the aftermath of Operation Horseman, when the organization dissolved.
- Max Grendel - Grendel was a member of the Executive Board from the formation of SCORPIA to the meeting in Venice preceding Operation Invisible Sword. He was killed by scorpions planted by Julia Rothman following the announcement of his plans for retirement.
- Edwardo and Giovanni Grimaldi - The Grimaldi twins were members of the Executive Board from its formation to the aftermath of Operation Horseman, when the organization dissolved.
- Levi Kroll - Kroll was a member of the Executive Board from the formation of SCORPIA to the meeting on the Le Debiteur in Paris preceding Operation Horseman. He was shot by a SCORPIA sniper hired by Zeljan Kurst following his announcement of his plans for retirement.
- Zeljan Kurst - Kurst was a member of the Executive Board from just after the formation of SCORPIA to the aftermath of Operation Horseman. He was the Chairman of SCORPIA from after Operation Invisible Hand to the aftermath of Operation Horseman. Kurst was arrested after the fail of Operation Horseman.
- Hideo Mikato - Mikato was a member of the Executive Board from its formation to the aftermath of Operation Horseman, when the organization dissolved.
- Julia Rothman - Rothman was a member of the Executive Board from its formation to Operation Invisible Sword, where she was killed in action in London by her own falling satelite. Rothman served as Chairman from an unknown time until Invisible Sword, for which she also served as Project Leader.
- Seamus- Seamus was a member of the Executive Board from its formation to the aftermath of Operation Horseman, when the organization dissolved.
- Dr. Three - Dr. Three was a member of the Executive Board from its formation to the aftermath of Operation Horseman, when the organization dissolved.
- Major Winston Yu - Yu was a member of the Executive Board from its formation to Operation Reef Encounter, where he was killed aboard his yacht by a shock wave. Yu was the Project Leader for Operation Reef Encounter.
- Eijit Binnag - Botany (Poisons)
- Oliver D'Arc - Principal
- Gordon Ross - History of Weapons and Technical Specialist
- Karl Steiner - Psychiatrist